September 29, 2020
Which is Better: Braces or Invisalign? A question that has arisen since the introduction of Invisalign in 2000. The discussion rages on, and will for a long time to come. But we can explore some of the advantages and disadvantages of each alignment process. The type of braces you use will be what your orthodontist believes will do the most effective work on your smile.
Which is Better Braces or Invisalign?
While “It depends” probably is not the answer you were expecting, it is the most accurate answer. Because every mouth is different, the method to correct alignment most effectively depends on the individual patient. One patient with an overbite and alignment problems might be a good candidate for Invisalign. At the same time, a patient with similar issues may be better suited to traditional braces or another method of correction.
When an orthodontist examines a patient, they can determine what treatment is going to be the most effective. Using x-rays, physical examination, and digital imaging, an orthodontist can “map” the patient’s mouth. This includes predicting future growth for patients who don’t have all their adult teeth yet. Using this “map,” a doctor can evaluate the specific problems and potential future problems and determine which type of braces would be best for that patient.
It is also true that in many cases, either treatment will be effective. In that instance, an orthodontist may offer the patient a choice of treatment plans. With this option, Invisalign generally wins due to the near invisibility of the alignment trays.
Looking at the Pros and Cons
When examining which is better between braces and Invisalign, it helps to look at the advantages and disadvantages of each.
Advantages of Invisalign
- Clean aligners are almost invisible
- Able to correct most orthodontic alignment problems
- Treatment duration averages 12 to 18 months
- Fewer appointments required during the treatment period
- Less pain during treatment
- No dietary restrictions
- Oral hygiene is easier because trays are removed for cleaning, brushing, and flossing
Disadvantages of Invisalign
- Not able to correct complex problems effectively
- Patient-controlled/forgetting to wear alignment trays can lengthen treatment period
Advantages of Traditional Braces
- Able to correct most orthodontic alignment problems, including complex cases
- Orthodontist controlled adjustments/at work 24 hours every day
Disadvantages of Traditional Braces
- Wires and brackets are very noticeable and obvious
- Treatment period averages 18 to 36 months
- Appointments are necessary for adjustments and potential emergencies
- Wires and brackets may irritate the inside of the mouth
- Required dietary restrictions to avoid damaging wires and brackets
- Oral hygiene, especially flossing, is more difficult due to the adjustment wires
After looking at the pros and cons, from the patient perspective, Invisalign is a clear winner. However, the ultimate decision should be made using the recommendations of an orthodontist.
Michael Sokoloff Orthodontics Can Help You Decide
IF you still can’t decide which is better, braces and Invisalign are both excellent treatment methods. While making the ultimate decision, consider Michael Sokoloff Orthodontics. With our online appointment request, it is easy to get set up for an appointment. You can also call our White Plains office at (914) 949-0068 to schedule.
Dr. Sokoloff can develop a treatment plan for you and explain in more detail what is better for you, braces, or Invisalign. Let Dr. Sokoloff help you decide.Tags: braces white plains, clear braces White Plains NY, Orthodontic treatment, Which is Better: Braces or Invisalign